*at holiday party*
- people: *excited expression* “you look better than everybody here and the best you have in 10 years! What are you doing?”
- CLIENT: “I work with this coach named Jonathan.”
- people: *even more excited expression* “OMG! What is the SECRET?!”
- CLIENT: “he just walks me through realistic changes I can make, prioritizing strengthening, nutritional sufficiency - we get a bit into the science and psychology of it.”
- people: *excitement face giving way to puzzled face* “... so there’s no like pill or detox or intense group class?”
- CLIENT: “no. It’s just really about sensible change, sustainable lifestyle, meeting people where they are, and citing supporting research without swearing by a diet or one school of thought AND he really understands how the body works AND...”
- people: *already lost interest and broke eye contact*
I wish it weren’t true. But on average it is. The above is a paraphrased exchange I heard (which was nearly identical) from three SEPARATE clients of mine this past week. It’s paraphrased, but barely. It may as well be an exact quote. I’ve run into it a lot over the past 15 years in this profession. Most large organizations capitalize on it and play into the false expectations. I never have.
People talk about unfair bosses. My boss is the marketplace. And the discussion above is an accurate portrayal of the overriding marketplace. My boss wants to pay me based on excitement, not on deep science, not on tens of thousands of professional experience hours, not on solid methodology. My boss wants to exchange dollars for hype, not for education. I’ve left a few million dollars on the table by never once going with the trend or the fad.
And I still made it work, and well enough to take care of my family, well enough to still be doing this health and wellness thing as my only gig 15 years later. Plus I get to look at myself in the mirror. People who rode the trends? They made their millions or not; but most aren’t in this industry any more. And if they are, it certainly isn’t their sole focus for the primary breadwinner.
On the other side of the equation, as the consumer, you too can make it work by bucking the trend, by skipping the fad. It won’t be as exciting. It won’t be riding the current wave. But 15 years later, you can be solidly and actively growing in your journey.
We offer the highest quality in personal fitness, nutrition, and mindset coaching, helping you achieve your fitness, health, wellness and performance goals no matter the obstacle. With virtual online training and private, in-studio training we make it easier to reach your wellness goals safely.
No more can't. No more not good enough. If you compete in a sport, let your mind no longer hold you back from being the greatest. If you don't, let your mind no longer hold you back from being the best version of you that you can be.
Sign-up for a Tour
Covid Screen Waiver
Become an Elev8 Instructor
6244 lyndale ave. s., minneapolis, mn 55423